[PLUG] Headless machine rescue CD

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 18:48:56 UTC 2007

# from Richard C. Steffens
# on Monday 31 December 2007 08:04:

>> By a strange quirk of fate, I buzzed through a number of them late
>> last week ... I'm looking for one that will boot without a monitor,
>> so I can bring a machine up headless.
>
>If you find one, would you please tell us about it?

The RIP - "Recovery is Possible" iso is pretty easy to customize.  I
once created one that had a public key and IP address burned-in.  Maybe
it even does DHCP out-of-the-box, but you probably want to at least
stick a public key on it though (IIRC, ssh is disabled by default.)

There's also the memory stick angle.

Perhaps something that boots from a CD and reads site-specific details
from a memory stick would be easiest to reconfigure without any iso
remastering.  It's been a few years since I was tinkering with this
though so perhaps that's already been done.

--Eric
--
Consumers want choice, consumers want openness.
--Rob Glaser