[PLUG] Laptop Recommendations

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Thu Feb 1 18:16:02 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 19:41 -0800, Tim Wescott wrote:
> Its time to retire my tired old Dell laptop, and I'm planning on
> replacing it with one running Linux.  If possible, I'd like to either
> get one that either doesn't have an OS installed and put Linux on it, or
> buy one that comes with Linux preloaded.

One other issue to consider - if you're interested in Virtualization -
VT (Xen, KVM), watch the CPU. Only some "Core Duo", "Core 2 Duo", and
"Pacifica" CPUs support VT.

And many laptop mfrs disable VT - as I just noted on the Xen list

Many laptop mfrs disable VT, even if the Intel CPU supports it (AMD
VT-capable systems can't have VT disabled). There's a long HP thread on
the topic (which is also covered in /.)
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1051601

There are also interesting Wikis on the topic
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/IntelVT
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HVM_Compatible_Notebooks

Thanks,
Mike