[PLUG] Re: Ubuntu And Comcast Digital Cable?

Ryan ryan.mannon at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 12:12:39 UTC 2007

"On 2/8/07, Jeff Moore <jeff at sharetechnw.com> wrote:
I am not sure what they do but they lock in the mac of the first host that
connects and then deny access to other nic cards that connect(if they have
different mac addresses). I am sure this is a measure to help them manage
one IP per client."

I can tell you from working for the big C that yes they do track your mac.
The premise is that your only allowed to use one computer unless you
purchase the "home networking" package, and then you can only use 5.
Personally I think it's dumb, really dumb.  But I'm just a peeon in the
corporate world.  Just buy a linksys router and your home free.   Check out
your user agreement.  your not supposed to use your service for anything
more than surfin the net.  Your not supposed to open up ssh tunnels or set
up servers unless you buy a commercial account.   I've never seen them
enforce this but I can tell you that they know exactly how much data your
sending and receiving.

-ryan