[PLUG] Moto4Lin and Razr V3

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 23:43:32 UTC 2007

On 2/9/07, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
> Is anyone using Moto4Lin (or any other software) to access a Motorola
> Razr V3 phone? If so, how well does it work -- access to all the files
> on the phone, contact list, ring tones, etc.?
>
> Motorola sells Winders software for the job, and also a cable. The USB
> cable I have for my Canon Digital Rebel camera has the right connectors,
> so all I need is the software, and of course, I'd rather have Linux
> software instead of Winders.

I've done this.. and actually posted a short synopsis of how on the
list some time back (about a year ago). Here's what I found in my
gmail archives (initially posted by me, although I don't recall
anymore than what's below):

"...
 I *do* know
that there is something  wrong with the way moto4lin establishes
connections to the phone.  I've never been able to connect solely
through moto4lin.  IIRC, the proceedure I've used to transfer files
to/from the phone is:  (If this doesn't work, let me know.  I don't
have my usb cable to test and it's been a while.)

1) run p2ktest and establish a connection, then close p2ktest (the
closing part may be optional)
2) start moto4lin, verify the settings are correct (pointing to the
correct tty device, mostly -- and in agreement with anything learned
from p2ktest in #1)
3) Hit the Connect/Disconnect button
4) transfer files very carefully.  The defaults are anything but
intuitive, and the view of the phone filesystem seems to have little
effect on where things go and what paths you need to input manually.
Basically, moto4lin is a serious pain in the ass to use, but I have
been able to get the job done with it.
..."