[PLUG] Daylight Savings Time

Adam L. Klein alklein at dsl-only.net
Sun Feb 11 23:45:05 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 11:03 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007, Adam L. Klein wrote:
>
> > At work, we're having almost daily meetings to check and review the status
> > of patching various O/Ses, hardware and applications.  Java needs an
> > update if you're running prior to 1.5.<some_version> and it sounds like
> > Windows back-end (Exchange, etc.) needs a lot of work and patches may not
> > be available.  I work on middleware (IBM WebSphere, MQ, etc.) and
> > fortunuately, that just needs a java patch.
>
>    Oh, my! I had not realized this was such a widespread problem. I assumed
> that all OSes picked up the proper time from a national time standard and
> that all applications took their time from the OS.

The almost daily meetings is a bit of overkill, but that's what's been
decided until we know that everything can be fixed.  It's due to the
scope of the impact on our environment - Solaris, AIX, Windows OSes,
lots of network hardware, lots of java (different versions / vendors of
JREs and J2SEs), lots of apps and versions (Exchange 2000 - which is
EOLed - MS wants $4K per server per patch, I've heard).  Our Solaris and
AIX boxes have been patched for a while, our Oracle installs are fine
and our middleware JREs/JSE's will be fine after running the IBM jtzu
updater.  It's mostly the Windows environments / windows-based / network
hardware that is an issue.

Adam
--
Adam L. Klein