[PLUG] Ubuntu And Comcast Digital Cable?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Feb 12 03:18:07 UTC 2007

Keith> Comcast looks for a specific MAC address for one machine on the
Keith> customer end.

On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 02:35:07PM -0800, Russell Senior wrote:
> I have seen cases where a box was plugged directly into the cable
> modem, and then we wanted to plug in a wireless router or firewall or
> something in between (these were not PTP installs, I hasten to add).
> No workie until we used the silly router firmware to pretend to have
> the first box's MAC address.  Then it worked.  That sounds like
> Comcast looking for the machine's MAC rather than the modem's.

Keith writes:

That was my experience as well - Comcast is for sure looking for the
machine's MAC.  They may look for the modem MAC as well, but without
a second modem I have no way to tell.  They may look only for the
modem in a different neighborhood, or on another planet, but not in
my neighborhood.

Keith