[PLUG] Ubuntu And Comcast Digital Cable?

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Mon Feb 12 05:29:12 UTC 2007

Aaron Ten Clay wrote:
> m0gely writes:
>> Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>>> Comcast looks for a specific MAC address for one machine on the
>>> customer end.
>>
>> It's the modem's MAC, not the machine behind it.
>> --
>> - m0gely
>
> Actually, the configuration file Comcast provides customers' modems
> tells the modem to allow only one MAC address to access the modem. This
> means the first MAC address the modem sees is the only one it will talk to.

Comcast only cares about the MAC of the modem for provisioning of the
service.  This is what I replied to.  You guys are bringing up a
separate issue now.  What happens behind the modem is solved by power
cycling it with a new machine being plugged in.  This is just crappy
policy on their firmware (if you're correct), which most people will
never see, as most people aren't switching computers like that.

--
- m0gely