[PLUG] Device ID in Grub

Tony Rick tonyr42 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 00:00:33 UTC 2007

With the proliferation of SATA drives, and platforms with both SATA and PATA
drives,  and the growing popularity of bootable USB sticks and external hard
drives for laptops and backups and such,  drive assignment order (which one
is actually hda, which one is sda, which one is the 'first' or boot device)
got seriously hosed, at least in Debian/Ubuntu.  The introduction of UUID in
fstab, ugly as it looks, was, partially at least, to address those issues.
I don't know much about the technical issues involved. "All I know is what I
read in the papers [read 'forums' for 'papers'].

- tony