[PLUG] kernel option vga=?? for a hp pavilion ze5375

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Tue Feb 13 00:33:34 UTC 2007

> I just laid my hands on a new (to me) laptop, on which I immediately
> installed Debian.  When it boots up, the text console is limited to a
> centered box about 2/3 the size of the screen.  My question is how do
> I get a text console to use the entire screen.  In the past, for other
> boxes I have found a magical vga=value that did the trick for me.  So
> far, that isn't doing what I expect or want.  The display is a Samsung
> 1024x768 something or other with an ATI radeon video controller.  Any
> clues?
>

> --
> Russell Senior, Secretary
> russell at personaltelco.net

I'm interested in this too.  My work computer, over which I have no
control of the hardware spec, has an ATI video card.  I have yet to
figure out how to get a bigger, better VGA resolution.  Also, I had to
disable the kernel framebuffer support and use the proprietary ATI
driver (in gentoo portage: x11-drivers/ati-drivers) to get any openGL
acceleration.

I have not yet tried the vesafb-style VGA settings.  Perhaps this is
the ticket?  There's always "vga=ask", though it seems you always get
a plethora of crappy choices with that.

Another thing I cannot seem to do with my ATI video card: run multiple
X displays.  Again, I haven't checked this in a while.

The proprietary ATI driver is in a module called fglrx.  The card
looks like this in lspci:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]

Carlos Konstanski