[PLUG] CUPS Problem

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Feb 13 19:17:14 UTC 2007

   Printing the internal configuration report for the H-P LaserJet 5 produced
a double-sided, single page output. So, the printing problem is with CUPS
and not the physical hardware.

   I thought that I had a good understanding of CUPS and could fix all the
problems I encountered because I had in the past. This one has me completely
stumped.

   Printer default is duplex mode. /etc/cups/printer.conf definition for this
printer is:

<DefaultPrinter laser5_duplex>
Info Double-sided printing
Location office
DeviceURI socket://lj5:9100/
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

   Regardless of the application I use to send a job to the printer (OO.o,
acroread, xpdf, lpr), even including the printer specification on the
command line, it comes out with each page printed on only one side, but each
page travels through the duplex unit.

   As root running /usr/sbin/printers I cannot delete that printer definition
and recreate it.

   This is distracting and frustrating. If anyone has ideas or a known
solution, please pass it on to me.

TIA,