[PLUG] Rsyncd And Performance

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Feb 13 23:45:25 UTC 2007

>>>>> "Jason" == Jason Van Cleve <jvancleve at chrome.com> writes:

Jason> Hail!  We're doing a large rsync operation and need to use the
Jason> checksum mode, because files' dates are often changing, but not
Jason> their contents.  I believe we're just using the rsh-type
Jason> interface, and it's taking longtemps.  Can anyone tell me
Jason> whether running rsync in deamon mode on one end would speed
Jason> things up at all?

Jason> My theory is that the rsh-mode operation needs to read each
Jason> file from the remote machine in order to compare it locally.
Jason> If rsyncd could checksum the files remotely in parallel with
Jason> the local rsync command, then it should mean a lot less network
Jason> I/O.

Jason> But enquiring minds want to know: is that how rsyncd actually
Jason> works?

IIRC...

Adding the checksum is not going to speed anything up.  It causes
rsync to bypass what would otherwise be a shortcut, i.e., rsync takes
the "longcut".

  http://rsync.samba.org/
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync

seniorr at aracnet.com