[PLUG] Rsyncd And Performance

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Feb 14 05:51:16 UTC 2007

>>>>> "Jason" == Jason Van Cleve <jvancleve at chrome.com> writes:

Jason> I must not have been very clear.  I need to use the checksum
Jason> feature, but I'm looking for a way to make that work faster.
Jason> The question is, given that I need to use -c in any case, would
Jason> it be any faster to use an rsync daemon and connect to it with
Jason> the "::" syntax, rather than using the normal connection mode.

IIRC, rsync will do it's full deal if any of the files metadata
differ: time stamps, size, permissions, etc.  So if your data files
time stamps are changing, then you don't need to use -c.  The -c will
force a full checksum for every file, so assuming that your rsync
includes unchanged (in any way) files, dropping the -c will make it go
faster.

As for comparative performance with rsync daemon, you could have
probably answered that question for yourself by now by testing on a
sample.  I don't know the answer.  My unconfirmed intuition is that it
won't be significantly different.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net