[PLUG] Daylight Savings Time

Tony Schlemmer aschlemm at comcast.net
Thu Feb 15 15:31:31 UTC 2007

On Monday 12 February 2007 14:38, Dwight Hubbard wrote:
> That is really true for shops running Solaris.  Sun's supported patches for
> the DST changes modify libc and require a reboot.  My group has expended
> more than 4000 man hours since July '06 for this change I am pretty sure
> the cost of making this change is a lot higher than any savings.
>
> On 2/12/07, alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:
> > It is going to be a big pain for anyone who has to manage systems that
> > need an accurate time stamp.  Far more money will be spent dealing with
> > the problem than would be saved by the change.

It's making life rough for the group I work in. I'm a developer but we have
numerous development, QA, and production boxes that all run Solaris and so
it's been a hassle for some time now. We have an SA group that does all of
the patches and they've been scheduling DST patches for days now. I think the
only guarantee we have as to when DST patches are done are on production
servers is that they're done at night. For the rest of our boxes they're
scheduled to be patched sometime during the work week.

I think we'll be done patching by the end of February.

Tony

--
Anthony Schlemmer
aschlemm at comcast.net