[PLUG] Ruminations on rsync

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Fri Feb 16 00:44:43 UTC 2007

>> I am slowly arriving at the
>> conclusion that rsync is not to be trusted, at least the version I
>> have available in Synaptic for Ubuntu amd64.
>
> Better to stick to just the second part of that conclusion.  It seems to
> me that sync has been very trustworthy for everyone else.
>
> --Eric

Agreed.  There may be local factors that are coming into play.  For
instance, I have been struggling with evolution for months now, for it
kept crashing every time I selected the "inbox" folder.  Turned out
that all I had to do was delete the ~/.evolution directory and restart
the app.  I am guessing that there was some metadata in that directory
that was created under an old version of evolution, and the newer
version(s) didn't like it.  Perhaps you should uninstall rsync, delete
EVERY file that has anything to do with the utility, and reinstall.

Carlos Konstanski