[PLUG] XP or Vista?

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Sun Feb 18 01:15:04 UTC 2007

Mike Neal wrote:

> You are right, DRM is the symptom. The source is the MS philosophy of
> adding value for MS, not the customer. DRM is just the latest
> contributor to bloatware as Bill makes his play to own the channel for
> high definition entertainment content.

I'm not sure that this is all Bill.  The encryption used in DVD's and
newer HD content (et al) isn't free.  Everything I've read says Linux
users have to pay money to get the tech to play in their OS's.  Maybe
Bill is more than happy to accommodate them, but that's another
conversation.

I read that EMI is considering releasing their entire music collection
in DRM free MP3 format.  This is not for moral reasons, but more to
compete with iTunes.  Whatever, I say.  Just do it. :)

--
- m0gely