[PLUG] Linux Clinic Sunday

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Sun Feb 18 19:29:57 UTC 2007

>> If I am able to make it. Would someone be able to help me setup vmplayer?
>> I have the Dell distribution CDs for WinXP that I currently dual-boot to.
>> Besides the PC, what else should I bring, (mouse, keyboard, monitor?)?
>
> There was some discussion about dedicating a Clinic to vmplayer. In
> fact, at the last Clinic I was going to engage Keith (our resident
> vmplayer guru) in holding my hand while I installed Player on my Edgy
> computer. Unfortunately other problems prevented that from happening.
> Maybe this time we can get to it.
>
> So yes, bring your computer and stuff. If your monitor is heavy we can
> borrow one from Free Geek, but definitely bring the rest.

Just thought I'd mention that VMPlayer will not help you to install a
new guest OS from scratch.  You'll be dependent upon someone with
VMWare Server or Workstation.  VMWare Server is a free product, and it
allows you to play as well as install.  If one were to ask me for
advice, I'd say "forget VMPlayer; get VMWare Server instead".

VMPlayer does have its uses, for example in a lab setting.  But using
it to play an already-existing guest OS is ludicrously simple, and I
don't think it's what you're after anyway.  I say this based on the
fact that you were wondering which OS install CD to bring to create a
new guest OS.

Carlos Konstanski