[PLUG] Problems Installing Debian Sarge On Laptop

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Sun Feb 18 21:00:47 UTC 2007

> Perhaps some wise soul can help.  I am attempting to install Debian 3.14r on
> my HP Pavilion ze4230.  The process hangs on the select language screen, when
> the setup stops responding to keyboard commands.
>
> In the past, I have successfully installed both Mandriva and Ubuntu on this
> laptop.  The keyboard is a ps2, as this old laptop's original keyboard is
> kaput.
>
> I am assuming that the hangup is caused by some hardware interface problem,
> being as it occurs so early in the installation process.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I've always wanted to configure a debian box, as this is some sort of rite of
> passage.  However, I'm not off to a promising start.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Terry

Install-time problems are always tough.  One thing to try: turn off
acpi and local apic at boot time.  If you can adjust your kernel
command line at the boot prompt, add "pci=noacpi nolapic".  I usually
use "nolapic" to get a machine with and ATI video card to make it
through an X11 installer like redhat.

Carlos Konstanski