[PLUG] [OT] Ellipsoid uniform random distribution

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Feb 20 09:01:42 UTC 2007

Okay, this has nothing to do with Linux, per se, but I've received
some fortuitous assistance here from the mathematically gifted, so
I'll try again.

I want to randomly select points with a uniform probability over the
surface of an an ellipsoid (the WGS84 ellipsoid representing the
earth, to be concrete about it).  I know how to do it for spheres, but
I have yet to find anything equally comprehensible for an ellipsoid.

Any clues?  Pointers?

TIA

PS: BTW, I am kicking myself for missing the Haskell talk.  I had been
looking forward to that, and didn't remember until about 9:30pm when,
coincidentally, I was driving nearby.  Gah!

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net