[PLUG] Linux Clinic Sunday

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 16:39:42 UTC 2007

On 2/18/07, Carlos Konstanski <ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com> wrote:
> >> If I am able to make it. Would someone be able to help me setup vmplayer?
> >> I have the Dell distribution CDs for WinXP that I currently dual-boot to.
> >> Besides the PC, what else should I bring, (mouse, keyboard, monitor?)?
> >
> > There was some discussion about dedicating a Clinic to vmplayer. In
> > fact, at the last Clinic I was going to engage Keith (our resident
> > vmplayer guru) in holding my hand while I installed Player on my Edgy
> > computer. Unfortunately other problems prevented that from happening.
> > Maybe this time we can get to it.
> >
> > So yes, bring your computer and stuff. If your monitor is heavy we can
> > borrow one from Free Geek, but definitely bring the rest.
>
> Just thought I'd mention that VMPlayer will not help you to install a
> new guest OS from scratch.  You'll be dependent upon someone with
> VMWare Server or Workstation.  VMWare Server is a free product, and it
> allows you to play as well as install.  If one were to ask me for
> advice, I'd say "forget VMPlayer; get VMWare Server instead".
>
> VMPlayer does have its uses, for example in a lab setting.  But using
> it to play an already-existing guest OS is ludicrously simple, and I
> don't think it's what you're after anyway.  I say this based on the
> fact that you were wondering which OS install CD to bring to create a
> new guest OS.

I have actually installed a new OS using VMPlayer.  I built the raw HD
image with
qemu and a vmx file that was configured for a boot CD/DVD.  After running the
install from the CD/DVD.  I changed the configuration file to not look
for the iso file and
things just booted from the HD image.  I installed FC4 this way using
minimum boot iso
doing a net install and Ubuntu,Freespire, OpenSuse and Slax  with a
LiveCD install.
These worked and then I was able to run the update tools from within
and get the
updates to that image.