[PLUG] Removable Hard Disk Recommendations

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Feb 20 20:16:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 11:33:42AM -0800, Charles Sliger wrote:
> I want to build a server with at least 1 removable hard disk for use in
> backups.
>
> I've heard that there can be reliability issues with the disk carriers.

I have been sliding disks in and out of a ViPower Ultra-ATA disk
rack daily for about three years now and it has only needed
replacement once.  They do wear out;  get a spare.  Unless you
can get something with thick gold plating on the connectors, it
will wear out.

OTOH, the big issue is a version of Linux that supports PATA hot
swap.  That was in the later 2.4.xx kernels, but it was removed
from 2.6.xx for at least a while.  It might be back in.  Perhaps
SATA is better supported.  I don't know whether the carriers for
SATA are reliable.

Keith