[PLUG] Removable Hard Disk Recommendations

alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Feb 20 20:39:52 UTC 2007

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Charles Sliger wrote:

> I want to build a server with at least 1 removable hard disk for use in
> backups.
>
> I've heard that there can be reliability issues with the disk carriers.
>
> Any insights welcome.

USB or plug in tray?

The advantage to USB is that it is a hot plug device.  (You don't have to
shut down to remove it.)

I have not had problems with either as long as you don't buy the extra
cheap versions.  (Those tend to cut corners and have problems --
sometimes.)

The only other issue is if you reboot with a usb drive plugged in, it may
try to boot off of that disc.  The easiest way to fix that is to configure
the boot order with the USB device plugged in in the BIOS.  (If it is not
plugged in, some bioses will not give you the option to change the boot
order for USB devices.)

Hope that helps.

--
"Invoking the supernatural can explain anything, and hence explains nothing."
                   - University of Utah bioengineering professor Gregory Clark