[PLUG] Removable Hard Disk Recommendations

Sandy Herring sandy at herring.org
Tue Feb 20 19:56:24 UTC 2007

Circa 11:33:42 on Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Charles Sliger wrote:
> I want to build a server with at least 1 removable hard disk for use in
> backups.
>
> I've heard that there can be reliability issues with the disk carriers.
>
> Any insights welcome.

I opted to go the external USB 2.0 route and got the Seagate 160GB 7200
rpm drive. I rsync...
/home
/var/spool/mail
/etc
/var/www
/var/log/httpd
/usr/local/bin
...and the 'My Documents' folder mounted on my XP box nightly (with
rotating hard links to provide historical backups sets).

/dev/sdb1             147G   60G   81G  43% /media/usbdisk
//sandy/docs          299G   43G  256G  15% /windocs

The drive was recognized instantly on my RHEL (soon to be CentOS)
web/mail server (IBM x206) and formatted easily as ext3. It's been a
trouble-free solution for me.

Sandy
--
Sandy Herring, RHCE                        o              sandy at herring.org