[PLUG] Removable Hard Disk Recommendations

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Feb 20 23:51:12 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 01:00:19PM -0800, Charles Sliger wrote:
> [chaz> ] This system will be running CentOS-4. Do you know if it supports
> hot swap?

Not PATA up to 2.6.18 kernels.  Probably USB.  Maybe SATA.  The
relevant phrase above is "I don't know", so you will have to
research it and let us know.

On 2.4.22 (FC1), you can remove a disk with "hdparm -b 0 /dev/hdc".
With 2.6.9 (RHEL4) and 2.6.18 (RHEL5beta) you get the error message:

   HDIO_SET_BUSSTATE failed: Operation not supported

Now you know what I do.  Please find out more and share with us.  I
am especially interested in whether SATA will hotswap properly;  SATA
disks are cheap and big, and the Wave Of The Future according to some.

Keith