[PLUG] Debian experts?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Feb 21 01:03:26 UTC 2007

I decided to take 64-bit Debian Etch for a spin. I have a spare 9 GB partition on my hard drive that currently has bare-bones Dapper on it, installed some time ago to use as a rescue installation. That's where I want to install it.

The question is what to download. The debian.org site is sparse on information regarding the myriad of images available. As far as I can tell the latest stable is debian-31r4-ia64. I wanted the DVD image, and I found it on the Open Source Lab at OSU, but there are three files there, debian-31r4-ia64-binary-1.iso and -2.iso and -3.iso, of 4.4 GB, 4.4 GB and 261 MB. Does the whole thing need 9.1 GB? Sheesh! I didn't plan on downloading the whole internet. Some advice would be helpful.