[PLUG] Debian experts?

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Wed Feb 21 19:43:28 UTC 2007

Galen Seitz wrote:
> Ed Sawicki wrote:
>> 2. Why shouldn't we give credit to the creator of
>> the technology? Using "x86" in the name gives credit
>> to Intel. I surveyed my students one day about this.
>> In a class of about 20, _everyone_ said that Intel
>> created the x86_64 64-bit technology.
>
> Intel should be given 'credit' for the 8086 architecture
> at every opportunity.  After all, where would we be without
> segments, real mode, limited registers, etc.
>
> galen

As an assembly language programmer, I hear you. Intel's
early machines were ridiculous - I was using the Motorola
and TI processors when IBM chose the Intel crap for the
PC. What a mistake. I can only imagine what would have
happened if IBM chose the TI 9900 processor instead. We
would have benefited from its fast context switching and
probably had VM technology in small computer operating
systems decades earlier.

Ed