[PLUG] Laptops and storage - storage/SATA

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Thu Feb 22 00:17:04 UTC 2007

Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> I recently built a machine for someone and was upset to find that there
> was no SATA support for Linux and had to return the HD and get a PATA one.
> Is this common?  What about SATA external enclosures?

Huh?  I'd better check my acronyms and installed units.  I could have sworn I
have SATA drives in two machines here.

hmmm

0000:00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)

root at eye:/proc # scsi_info /dev/sda
SCSI_ID="0,0,0"
HOST="0"
MODEL="ATA SAMSUNG SP1614C"
FW_REV="SW10"

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/SpinPointPSeries/HardDiskDrive_SpinPointPSeries_SP1614C.htm
http://tinyurl.com/ygtc

Yep, system thinks it's running a SATA disk.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity