[PLUG] VM Ware Fedora Core 6 problems

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 20:01:15 UTC 2007

Hi Pluggers,
I started a thread about virtualization awhile back and got some great
information. After attempting to install VM Ware server on my Fedora Core 6
installation I keep running into a problem that Google has yet to solve for
me. I can install the rpm that VM Ware provides just fine. However when I
try and run vmware-config.pl it is unable to find my kernel headers which
are indeed installed (in my case in /usr/src/kernels/<kernel-ver> when I
point to that directory the config tool spews back that the header files are
not from my running kernel yet they are or at least they should be according
to the documentation I've read.

I have the following packages installed.

kernel-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6-i686
kernel-devel-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6-i686
kernel-headers-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6-i686

I have tried updating to the latest kernel from the update repo with no
success (same error message).

The one forum I found this specific issue on listed the problem as having to
do with the arch conflicting between the header/devel packages and the
kernel package but I've verified repeatedly that they match.

Anyone have any pointers/debugging tips?

Thanks,
Drew-