[PLUG] Re: VM Ware Fedora Core 6 problems

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 02:35:45 UTC 2007

On 2/23/07, drew wymore <drew.wymore at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Pluggers,
> I started a thread about virtualization awhile back and got some great
> information. After attempting to install VM Ware server on my Fedora Core 6
> installation I keep running into a problem that Google has yet to solve for
> me. I can install the rpm that VM Ware provides just fine. However when I
> try and run vmware-config.pl it is unable to find my kernel headers which
> are indeed installed (in my case in /usr/src/kernels/<kernel-ver> when I
> point to that directory the config tool spews back that the header files are
> not from my running kernel yet they are or at least they should be according
> to the documentation I've read.
>
> I have the following packages installed.
>
> kernel-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6-i686
> kernel-devel-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6-i686
> kernel-headers-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6-i686
>
> I have tried updating to the latest kernel from the update repo with no
> success (same error message).
>
> The one forum I found this specific issue on listed the problem as having
> to do with the arch conflicting between the header/devel packages and the
> kernel package but I've verified repeatedly that they match.
>

> Anyone have any pointers/debugging tips?
>
> Thanks,
> Drew-

I had a couple off-list suggestions which didn't work =( Here's the error

The directory of kernel headers (version @@VMWARE@@ UTS_RELEASE) does not
match
your running kernel (version 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6).  Even if the module were to

compile successfully, it would not load into the running kernel

the kernel, kernel-devel and kernel-headers packages match the running
kernel so I'm at a loss here. I'm almost wondering if its because its a dual
core box? It shows SMP in uname -a but that shouldn't matter I wouldn't
think. Guess its time to download the sources and do my own kernel compile
heh.