[PLUG] Ubuntu standard Firefox sucks

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jan 2 08:00:01 UTC 2007

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 19:03:58 -0800
"William A Morita" <wamorita at hevanet.com> dijo:

> I finally found a .deb in SwiftFox, which is an optimized Firefox.
>
> Downloaded it and installed (after removing Firefox) and everything seems
> happy.
> Why is Ubuntu distributing a broken Firefox?

My understanding is that SwiftFox is proprietary. Ubuntu is big on not
including anything in its standard repositories that is not completely
open source. If you want stuff like that you must add the restricted
repositories.

As for why 2.0 is not available, that is because things in the debian
world are slow. It's even worse in 64-bit Ubuntu.

I should also add that my Firefox 1.5.0.8 runs just fine on my Dapper
amd-64 computer, aside from some missing plugins.