[PLUG] E-mail server?

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Fri Jan 5 04:45:18 UTC 2007

Charles Sliger wrote:

> The main practical reason for automatically assigning IP addresses from a
> pool is to serve mobile users.  Think of WiFi connects in a coffee shop for
> instance.  Or corporate users taking their laptops when traveling to another
> office location.

DHCP offers many benefits period.  While mobile users and your coffee
shop are two examples, they aren't the "main" reason.  It's a management
style that each network admin will have to decide on their own.
Personally I use a mixed environment on most networks I set up.  All
servers, printers and appliances get static IP's which work well for
managing, and the client machines all get dynamic IP's.  It's easy
enough to start the DCHP pool at something like .50 rather than .2, so
you can use .1 through .49 for static assignments.

--
- m0gely