[PLUG] Restoring Sound

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Jan 5 19:18:39 UTC 2007

Alan Olsen wrote:

>> I nearly fell over in my chair when the test sound came out of my
>> laptop at a rather loud volume.
>
> Never try this on a bus.
>
> Been there. Done that. Scared the crap out of everyone.

I've had a similar problem on occasion. On one laptop, I have external
speakers plugged in, and so I can just turn the speaker volume control down.

It occurred to me that having a plug to insert into the headphone jack
would let me get the machine booted and the software controlled volume
turned down before letting the signal get to the internal speakers. I
assume that it would be a good idea to have a couple of resistors (8
ohm?) wired into that plug to present a speaker-like load to the
laptop's sound hardware, but I don't know if that's really necessary. It
would be one more thing to have to carry around, but it could prevent
unpleasantness on the bus.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens