[PLUG] Resolution needs resolution (Was: LCD thingies)

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Fri Jan 5 19:47:10 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 03:18 -0800, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> Well, first I just kind of see if X can handle it.  I ran dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xorg and selected 1680x1050 as the default resolution and
> restarted X.  What I got was ugly.  A strip in the middle of the screen
> maybe 600 pixels wide and what looked like my display manager login window
> peeking out of the corner on the far right of this region.  The rest was
> black.  And what was there was kind of stripy and not at all the normal
> order of things.

I found when installed mine (the 205BW), after configuring the video
card settings I was still getting something like the above.  Sometimes I
had a clear 1280x1024 with discolored bounding box on the bottom and
right; sometimes it used the whole screen but was distorted in other
ways (including the mouse input being shifted by about an inch from the
displayed cursor).  I found that I had to use the (GNOME or Fedora, not
sure which) "Screen Resolution" tool, which I think manipulates the
XRANDR setting.  Curiously, the login splash screen *wasn't* corrupted.
Once I set this to the appropriate resolution, the display was correct;
it seems it was changing the resolution via XRANDR when the session
started.  You might examine the XRANDR settings and see if there's
something in the session changing them.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>