[PLUG] Google Web pages with gadgets

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Jan 6 19:18:04 UTC 2007

A couple of months ago, I mentioned that it would be nice to have a
customizable search page for a web browser, so I would not have to
use tabs or bookmarks, just pick one of the entry boxes and hit go.

It turns out that the Google customizable home page is a reasonably
close approximation to my needs.  You can select from thousands of
mostly user supplied "gadgets", and build up customized page from
them.  For example, here is my current one:

  http://www.keithl.com/googlepage.png

I have search boxes for ebay, wikipedia, linux search, imdb, and local
information for movies, calendar, and map.  In my copious spare time,
I may design gadgets for Addall, the library, and telephone search,
and perhaps a "button box" that can call up bookmarks to CUPS, my
websites, and other places I go frequently.

This isn't perfect;  most of the gadgets take up too much space.  But
it does get me 50% of the way there.  Nice tool.

Keith