[PLUG] Re: planning for SL5, best path through SL4.4 or FC6?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Jan 9 16:04:23 UTC 2007

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> Questions:  What are the implications when I do the final SL5
> upgrade when that becomes available?  Will RPM consider the package
> name differences important, and perhaps fail on the dependencies?
> Anything else to watch out for?

I know that CentOS users have typically contributed how-to docs on
migrating from RHEL to CentOS. I've never used Scientific Linux, but I
suspect the procedures are rather similar.

The biggest differences between RHEL and its freely rebuilt clones
have historically been package management and art work. I don't know
about RHEL5, but its predecessors relied on up2date, while CentOS
standarized on yum. The transition wasn't horrible, but any mistake is
costly. Ripping out the Red Hat-copyrighted artwork is usually easier,
and by now all the clones have their own art styles.

If I were contemplating your move, I'd

1. Install RHEL5 betaX and get everything working
2. Identify and backup the deltas between installation and working
3. Nuke and repave with a fresh SL5 install once it's available
4. Merge deltas backed up in step 2.

But that's just me...

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com