[PLUG] Inexpensive Netgear WG511T Atheros cards at Frys

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Jan 10 19:10:10 UTC 2007

The Madwifi drivers for Atheros cards seem fairly well supported by
Linux.  I purchased one previously at full price (about $50), and found
some refurbs in plain brown boxes at Frys for $17 ("WG511TNAR", which
means WG511T, North America tuned, refurbished).  For those of you
that want to pester the Linux Clinic with cheap wifi cards, here is
a cheap one that won't get taken outside and stomped.  I bought a
second one for my wife's laptop, and it works pretty much like the
new one.  It says 90 day warranty on the Fry's label on the box, and
30 day warranty on a note inside, so Fry's is, well, Frys ... :-/

I am still having some troubles getting "iwlist" (scanning) working
with the WG511T and a 2.6.9 kernel, but allegedly it will work and I
will get it figured out soon.  The more people that have these cards
locally, the more help in figuring it out (my ulterior motive).

Keith