[PLUG] Apache throws fileinfo.so error...

someone plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Sun Jan 14 23:14:41 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 15:23 -0800, someone wrote:
> PHP Warning:  mime_magic: type regex\t\tBEGIN[[:space:]]*
> [{]\tapplication/x-awk invalid in Unknown on line 0
> PHP Warning:  Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library
> '/usr/lib/php4/fileinfo.so' - /usr/lib/php4/fileinfo.so: cannot open
> shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
>
> I am assuming that what appears to be source code for fileinfo is
> not compiled and installed, but I can't figure out how to compile
> and install it.
>
> config.m4  CREDITS  EXPERIMENTAL  fileinfo.c  fileinfo.php
> php_fileinfo.h
>
> The above is the file list of Fileinfo-1.0.3.tar.gz
> uncompressed.  I recognize what is probably a C source
> and header file, but what is the m4 macro file and php
> file for?  Why isn't there a Makefile let alone an
> instruction file for installing this?
>
> Hmm, I'm having a hard time figuring out where I got this
> from searching around on horde...

I figured it out, it was from the pecl web site.  I ran
into another problem with php5.1 trying to do
pecl install fileinfo.  Turns out that a message that
the c pre processor in insane may mean that the C++
compiler installed.

I know what a compiler is, but I can't do anything
with a, "the c preprocessor is crazy," error
message.  Hello pecl maintainers, the lack of
documentation and obscure error messages is
really something else.

     Michael C. Robinson