[PLUG] Network storage

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jan 16 00:21:01 UTC 2007

I have decided I want to get a network storage drive. My house is wired
for 10/100 ethernet (actually gigabit, but my computers can only do
100, so that's moot). I'm thinking of at least 250 GB, but more is also
nice. I recall someone here recently bought such a device. Naturally, I
want it to be visible from my Linux laptop so I can make backups to it
with rsync.

Here is one I found on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/400-Gb-Network-Attached-Storage-NAS-Hard-drive-Maxtor_W0QQitemZ130068624668QQihZ003QQcategoryZ106273QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In case that link doesn't work, it's item # 130068624668.

I currently have a 250 GB USB 2.0 hard drive hanging on my Windows 2000
desktop. I have spent the better part of a day trying to learn how to
get rsync to write to it. I can read and write to it with Nautilus, but
the command line syntax escapes me. I use the Windows box so little
nowadays that I am going to shut it down and restart it only once a
month or so when I need it. I could then move the USB drive to my Linux
laptop, except that there's something screwy with my USB ports when I
send a large amount of data -- I get frequent lockups. Plus, eventually
I want to build myself a Linux desktop and it needs something to back
up to as well. A network device seems the easiest solution.

Recommendations, anyone?