[PLUG] Network storage

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Tue Jan 16 07:15:42 UTC 2007

John Jason Jordan wrote:

> Here is one I found on eBay:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/400-Gb-Network-Attached-Storage-NAS-Hard-drive-Maxtor_W0QQitemZ130068624668QQihZ003QQcategoryZ106273QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've been mulling over the best way to do something like this as well.
One of the problems I am trying to overcome is power consumption.
Running a fill fledged tower as Larry mentioned isn't an option for me.
  I look at all the computers running around me all the time at my home
and my electrical bill and it's just not right. ;)

The other thing I need to address is redundancy.  Hard drives just hold
too much darned info these days.  The time it would take to rebuild most
of what I have now from a total loss just makes me shake my head.  I
don't have any performance requirements that a RAID-1 couldn't handle,
and there are 2 and 4 drive NAS units that I've seen that would work
great for the home.  Here are some nice looking unit's, but alas, not NAS.

   http://search.ebay.com/sans-digital

That's some sexy tech right there.  Now if they would just release a
matching mini-itx chassis to sit on top of that...

This leads to the other option to build a low power machine using
mini-itx as the base, and an external USB/1394/eSATA attached RAID-1
chassis.  This would offer more possibilities and wouldn't kill the
electric bill, and I could leave more machines turned off.  But, it's
more money upfront.

--
- m0gely