[PLUG] Cleaning Up After Upgrades: scp Issue

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Jan 16 17:53:32 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 09:03:43AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   When I try to scp files between my workstation and notebook I now see this
> on either end:

>   Has anyone an idea what file broke or needs to be retuned?
>
> Rich

Try looking at

     http://www.snailbook.com/faq/libwrap-oops.auto.html

or otherwise googling.  This is probably the result of an incomplete
upgrade, and a library is missing or broken.  The logs will have a
lot more information, and you may want to turn on some debug flags.

I just came down off a two week spate of upgrades (mixed in with other
major and minor life crises) and I must have spent 40 hours of it with
google, solving issues like yours.  To keep the search focused, try:

      http://www.google.com/linux

This will keep the hits focused on Linux, and it seems to be somewhat
better sorted for answering sysadmin questions.  You are a Slackware
guy, and doing a Slackware upgrade, so the Slackware-oriented lists
will probably be overflowing with fixes for recent upgrades.  If I
am trying to solve Redhat-related problems, those are the lists and
sites I look at first.

This list isn't the best place for answering the "what does it mean
if I get error message XXX?"  The list is better for judgement and
experience issues, like "is application XXX better than YYY?"  We
probably won't give you a "best" answer, but you are likely to get
some extra input to help you make decisions.  Your past questions
about applications have led to some fruitful discussions.

Answering a question about an error message on this list - incompletely
or incorrectly - just adds to the noise that the next person searching
through google has to wade through.

If you still have issues, stop by the Linux Clinic next Sunday.  You
can get a couple of questions answered, and more importantly you know
enough about Linux to answer one or two questions of others.  Between
all of us, we do a lot of learning and helping there.

Keith