[PLUG] Replacement for /usr/src?

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 22:57:25 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>    It was suggested by someone on a newsgroup that /usr/src/linux has been
> deprecated for several years, and kernels and SlackBuilds should be done as
> a user in another directory rather than there, as root.
>
>    What's the scoop on this? More to the point, does it matter? If so, why.

Some source packages that use the kernel headers and do auto config look for
the kernel sources in two places /lib/modules/`uname-r`/source and
/usr/src/linux.
Barring finding the kernel sources there a package will ask you where
your kernel sources
are.
Building a kernel does not require root privileges except to do make
module-install and
make install.
Most packages will build anywhere as any user and only need root to
run install.  The only
problem I see is that if the install script does not do thing
correctly then your files
from the package are tagged as the user that built them.