[PLUG] Replacement for /usr/src?

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Tue Jan 16 23:52:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 14:22 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    It was suggested by someone on a newsgroup that /usr/src/linux has been
> deprecated for several years, and kernels and SlackBuilds should be done as
> a user in another directory rather than there, as root.

FWIW, Red Hat / Fedora is doing it completely differently. Kernel
sources now come from source code packages, and are installed in some
long directory - e.g., my RHEL 5 b2 kernel source is in:

/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.18/linux-2.6.18.i386/

To simplify the process of building drivers, there's also a kernel-devel
package that doesn't include all kernel source - that's installed in:

/usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2747.el5-i686/

To make this work with generic stuff that need /usr/src/linux, I've had
to create it as a soft link to the actual source code directory.

Don't know if Red Hat's actions mean that /usr/src/linux is being
deprecated though.

Thanks,
Mike