[PLUG] Re: Occasional windows, and VMware

eehouse eehouse at eehouse.org
Wed Jan 17 01:07:14 UTC 2007

> The thread on network storage was discussing "infrequently used
> machines", dual boot, and the like.   I am running a Windows 98
> guest image using VMware player, which allows me to run all the
> old Windoze apps (like Quickbooks and some CAD stuff) through a
> virtual window on my desktop.  No dual boot or other machines needed.

> [...]

I used VMWare (purchased by my employer) four or so years back.  At
that time it could run Windoze off of a normal MS-installed windoze
(vfat) partition.  This meant that you could set up a dual-boot
system, and choose to run the same Windoze either inside VMWare or
natively.  Changes made in one mode stuck around in the other, and you
didn't waste disk space with two copies.

Can VMWare Player do that?

Thanks,

--Eric