[PLUG] Occasional windows, and VMware

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Wed Jan 17 02:34:48 UTC 2007

Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> Normally, you need the $$$ VMware Workstation to build the starting
> images that VMplayer works with.  Ted Kubaska pointed out the site
> www.easyvmx.com, which will produce these images for you, and there
> are other websites like that.  It works much better if the guest has
> a copy of VMware Tools, but those can be copied from one of the beta
> versions or demo disks.

There is also now the free as in beer VMware Server, which, while not as
good a development tool as VMware Workstation, *will* run on either a
Linux or Windows host and build virtual machines for the player to play.
I've never actually used the player -- I have a Windows host Workstation
license and a VMTN subscription. I've beta tested Workstation 6 on a
Linux host, and I'll probably not upgrade my Workstation 5.5 license or
renew the VMTN subscription -- VMware Server does what little I need. If
I buy anything at all it will be a Workstation 6 for a Linux host.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/