[PLUG] Replacement for /usr/src?

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 05:04:19 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, agent dale cooper <agentdcooper at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/16/07, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
>
> **
>
> >  It was suggested by someone on a newsgroup that /usr/src/linux has been
> >  deprecated for several years, and kernels and SlackBuilds should be
> done as
> >  a user in another directory rather than there, as root.
> >
> >  What's the scoop on this? More to the point, does it matter? If so,
> why.
> >
> >  Thanks,
> >
> >  Rich
> >
> >  --
> >  Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |    The Environmental
> Permitting
> >  Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |          Accelerator(TM)
> >  <http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax:
> 503-667-8863
>
> Hello -
>
> Quoting the "father of linux", Linus Torvalds - here is his words on
> this very subject posted July 27, 2000 ;
>
> I would suggest that people who compile new kernels should:
>
>    - NOT do so in /usr/src. Leave whatever kernel (probably only the
>    header files) that the distribution came with there, but don't touch
> it.
>    - compile the kernel in their own home directory, as their very own
>    selves. No need to be root to compile the kernel. You need to be root
>    *install* the kernel, but that's different.
>    - not have a single symbolic link in sight (except the one that the
>    kernel build itself sets up, namely the "linux/include/asm" symlink
> that is
>    only used for the internal kernel compile itself).

Rob beat me to it! Yea basically Linus says you shouldn't do it ... although
I still do it out of habit.  I did actually build outside /usr/src at one
point in time and its fine to do that although you should create a directory
explicitly for builds because when you go to compile something looking for
/usr/src/linux ect ect you're going to have to point to whatever source you
used to build your kernel.

I haven't read anything from Pat saying you have to do slackbuilds outside
/usr/src fwiw.

Drew-