[PLUG] Network storage

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Jan 18 04:07:28 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:35:19 -0800
"Larry Brigman" <larry.brigman at gmail.com> dijo:

> > The uid means the user id, but which user? I am jcj on the Windows
> > desktop and jjj on the Linux laptop. Similarly, the gid means group id,
> > but my group on Windows is workgroup and on Linux the group is jjj
> > (jjj:jjj). Which of these do I use?

> The uid/gid is that of the running daemon for security in server mode
> only not file permissions.

Umm, I have no idea what you said.

But there is a more important question. Last time the rsync backup
locked up the computer about halfway through. (I suspect I have a
hardware problem with the hard disk in the laptop -- the disk is good,
the connection is flaky.) So just now I decided I'd do it over. Of
course, it should not need to copy again all the files it did the first
time. I amended my rsync command by excluding /sys and /tmp. This is
what I ran:

sudo rsync -av --delete --exclude=/proc --exclude=/media --exclude=/sys --exclude=/tmp / /media/smb/laptop

I had to stop it immediately, as I noticed it was deleting files from
the laptop's hard drive:

jjj at Devil5:~$ sudo rsync -av --delete --exclude=/proc --exclude=/media
--exclude=/sys --exclude=/tmp / /media/smb/laptop building file list ... done
deleting dev/.udev/db/class at usb_device@usbdev1.2
deleting dev/.udev/db/class at input@input4 at ts2
deleting dev/.udev/db/class at input@input4 at mouse2
etc.

And a quick check with Nautilus reveals that these files are, indeed,
no longer on the laptop's hard drive. Nor are they on the backup media
(the USB drive hanging on the Windows 2000 desktop).

I don't know what is going on here. In the rsync command line the
source comes first and the destination second, right?