[PLUG] VMware users group meeting

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Thu Jan 18 15:28:12 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 23:41 -0800, Kris wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> > Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> >> So, unless you are managing large VMware server deployments, this
> >> user group is probably not very interesting.  We should form our
> >> own little SIG for VMware (and other virtualizers) running on
> >> Linux hosts, instead.
> >>
> > How about just a Xen users' group -- I don't see much point in a VMware
> > users' group of open-source folk when there's a perfectly good open
> > source virtualizer.
>
> Or how about a group geared towards technology instead of a specific
> product?
>
> I run two vmware-server hosts, one vmware workstation, and plan to add
> another vmware-server.  The third one will be a production environment,
> and chosen mainly due to existing VMware experience.
>
> But.. I plan on looking at Xen (FOSS and XenEnterprise), and OpenVZ.
> Solaris even has some interesting VM technology (Niagra/T1 is just too
> awesome to ignore as a VM host platform).  Even KVM will be coming soon
> to a distribution near you.

FWIW, Xen is still a bloody mess on RHEL 5 beta 2. The news reports
suggest that it's the primary reason for RHEL 5 delays (a previous
schedule suggested a release at the end of 2006). The workarounds
required to make things like Windows installs work on Xen require too
much post install customization. It's much cleaner (a.k.a. brain dead
easy) on SLES 10.

Thanks,
Mike