[PLUG] X won't start! Help!!

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jan 20 05:50:20 UTC 2007

OK, I may have found something. At the command line I typed
"startx." That gave me the following:

---------------
xauth: creating new authority file for /jome/jjj/.serverauth.5382
xauth: creating new authority file for /jome/jjj/.serverauth
xauth: creating new authority file for /jome/jjj/.serverauth

Fatal server error
Server is already active for display 0
   If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
   and start again

Xlib: Connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
giving up
xinit: Unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error

I am guessing the problem is in the last five lines. Actually, in the
two Xlib: lines -- something is screwed up in the connection to the
X server.

I googled on Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE and discovered a lot of
people have had problems with this. Unfortunately, none of the
suggested solutions that I have found have worked so far.