[PLUG] X won't start! Help!!

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jan 20 06:43:21 UTC 2007

On 19 Jan 2007, at 22:58, drew wymore wrote:

> remove /tmp/.X0-lock just for grins .. or type startx 0:1 and see what
> happens ..

Tried startx 0:1 and got the same error message.

Deleted /tmp/.X-lock and now I get:

xauth: error in locking authority file /home/jjj/.Xauthority.

Of course, I should have renamed it instead of deleting it. Now I
don't have it at all, and don't have a backup handy. On the other
hand, it didn't work anyway, so no loss.

Problem is that the rsync I did earlier excluded /tmp, so it wouldn't
have a copy of the file anyway. And all my other backups were
usually just /home.

It's too late to think clearly. Tomorrow I'll go back to googling. There
were lots of sites where "Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE" popped up. I
didn't read very many of them yet.