[PLUG] X won't start! Help!!

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jan 20 22:55:57 UTC 2007

On 20 Jan 2007, at 17:22, David Bridges wrote:

> As user jjj from a console login execute the following command and
> then try to login via xdm/gdm
>
> mv ~/.gnome2_private ~/old_gnome2_private
>
> This will lose most of your settings related to your desktop.  If this
> fixes the problem you can try to dig down and see exactly what
> file/folder causes the problem by moving them one at a time from
> ~/old_gnome2_private to ~/.gnome2_private.
>
> >From what I remember the kids saying this issue happened when they
> locked up X and had to ctrl+alt+bs or reset the computer.

Thanks for the suggestion. It did not work. :(

While doing an ls command I also noted the following folders:

.gnome_private
.gnome
.gnome2

So I did the rename to "old" trick on them as well. Still can't log in.
I noted that attempting to log in after doing the above renamings
caused a new instance of each folder to be created. But I'm still
stuck.