[PLUG] KVM, virtualization, etc. (Was VMware users group ... )

Dane Jensen careo at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 21 04:38:43 UTC 2007

On Thursday 18 January 2007 21:15, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Well ... the ability to boot a LiveCD on a machine in a store rather
> limits you to stores where the sales people aren't on commission. :) But
> seriously, it would be easier to read the ads, check the chips out on
> the Internet and buy something you know will work. Or go someplace where
> they build them to order like Fry's or CompUSA.

Most new Intel and AMD chips that don't target the lowend of the market will
have either one of their hardware virtualization setups built-in.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualization_Technology
"It is available on most Pentium 4 6x2, Pentium D 9x0, Xeon 3xxx/5xxx/7xxx,
Core Duo and Core 2 Duo processors (excluding the T5200 & T5500). On some
implementations, IVT support may be switched off in the BIOS/EFI."

"AMD processors using Socket AM2, Socket S1, and Socket F include AMD
Virtualization support. In May 2006, AMD introduced such versions of the
Athlon 64, Turion 64, and 64-bit Sempron processors. AMD Virtualization is
also supported by release two (x2xx series) of the Opteron processors."

If you have any doubts about a particular processor, the Intel or AMD sites
are somewhat useful, although it's not a heavily advertised feature so you
have to go digging into the detailed specs.

I know in my own limited experience, it makes a noticeable improvement in
Parallels on my Macbook Pro to turn VT on.

HTH,
-Dane